Date:      Sun, 01 Dec 2002 15:46:00 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, Riccardo Torrini <riccardo@torrini.org>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Trivial patch: fdisk doesn't recognize my partitions

[ ... Partition ID changes ... ]

Nate Lawson wrote:
> > But as I said, this is  rather marginal and I really don't feel
> > it should go in unless this xor-0x10 convention is more widespread.
>
> partition magic does this too. isn't the correct failure mode just to
> print the part. id in hex instead of expanding it?

Frankly, who cares?

You guys still haven't told us, if these partitions are being
hidden... WHY ARE WE NOT RESPECTING THE DECISION TO HIDE THE
THINGS?  A user installed the software doing the hiding on
purpose.  The software changed the ID hide it, on purpose.
Windows ignores these partitions -- on purpose.

If you're not going to respect the user's wishes in this, then
that's a different kettle of fish... like not respecting the
user disabling things in the BIOS, because the probe routines
still detect it.

If you're going that route, why does FreeBSD care about partition
ID at all? All it is is a *hint*; it's not definitive.  It's not
lika a protocol type encapsulation on a packet.

It doesn't matter what the ID says, the rest of the partition
table entry demarcates a region of a linear arraw of bytes that
contain data.

I think looking at the content of that linear array is what
should determine what the content is, in the absence of a valid
"hint".

Specifically, if it has a valid disklabel on the thing, I don't
care what partition ID it has on it, I give it to the disklabel
handler.  If it has a valid FAT32 FS on it, I give it to the
FAT32FS.  If it has a valid FFS superblock on it, I give it to
FFS.  Etc..

-- Terry