Date:      Thu, 5 Oct 2000 23:51:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Heredity Choice <stork@QNET.COM>
To:        Carl Mooney <wildsea@ntlworld.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: installing freeBSD

You should find it easy to install most of FreeBSD if you have Greg
Lehey's "The Complete FreeBSD" at your side. Go for a CDROM with 3.x
rather than the latest 4.1, because this is what the book covers.

Other useful guides are the "Handbook" and articles in www.daemonnews.org.
It is not too much to read everything you can find on FreeBSD.

Depending on your hardware, X-windows can be a little tricky but is not
really necessary for learning the UNIX commands and file system. If you do
install X-windows, also install KDE, which is like MS Windows desktop only
better. The rival, Gnome, crashes. A Microsoft user expects crashes; a
FreeBSD user does not.

Unless you have beginner's luck, PPP can be very difficult to configure.
For just reading and sending e-mail, CU is easy to learn and use.

Once you become familiar with FreeBSD, you will not be happy with anything
less.

Paul Smith
stork@qnet.com