Date:      Thu, 22 Aug 1996 23:23:59 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Rashid  Karimov <rashid@rk.ios.com>
To:        angio@aros.net (Dave Andersen)
Cc:        michael@memra.com, craigs@OS.COM, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Anyone using ccd (FreeBSD disk striper) for news

> > There are a few things about FreeBSD that I don't understand well enough
> > right now. One of them is software RAID striping and it sounds like ccd
> > does this? Another one is whether FreeBSD supports MMAP.
>    Yes, and yes.
>
>    We're very pleased with it.  We made a few mistakes with it (using
> slightly lower quality drives than we should have and using 4gb drives
> instead of 2gb drives) that we're correcting now, and the performance
> keeps going up as we do.  Using ccd was a good performance boost as well;
> probably not as much as an external RAID array, but it also didn't cost
> us an arm and a leg.

	I run CCD on 3 AHA 2940Ws and 6HDs and get about 18Mb/sec
	raw thruput with my PPro-200.
	Talking about external RAID - it's less mess to configure,
	but I'm not sure if single SCSI channel
	connecting your server to RAID will give you decent thruput.

	I'm not sure exactly how good my ASUS PPro MB is -
	I had to send it back to ASUS to get rid of the infamous
	ORION chipset limitation, but it looks pretty fast.

	2.2-SNAP-06* is ROCK solid. All my troubles seem so far
	away now :) - it's up for 2 mos  with about 8 incoming
	and ~6 outgoinh feeds and 200+ readers average ( yeah yeah
	I know ... will setup separate readers machines soon :)

	Rashid.