Date:      Wed, 26 May 1999 10:44:18 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@phone.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Q] How stable is FreeBSD 3.X ?

On Wed, 26 May 1999, David O'Brien wrote:
> > I'm not familiar with service packs. However, I can certainly tell the
> > difference between doing a "make world" and installing a patch from
> > Sun. The patch doesn't change every system binary.
> However, with FreeBSD, a future patch will not undo the patch I just
> installed.  Sun has a history of "dueling" patches when a system binary
> has two unrelated problems with it.  Patch 1 will fix problem 1, and when
> you install patch 2 to fix problem 2 -- guess what!  Patch 2 doesn't
> include the fix for problem 1.

Another difference between them - meaning it's even easier to tell the
difference! Sun usually pointed you at the appropriate megapatch after
that, though. Which is pretty much a black box.

> > and you don't necessarily have to reboot the system as part of the
> > process.
> But since you don't know if what was patched was something only read at
> startup, you always need to reboot a Sun after patching.

You may not know - I did. Even things that were only read at startup
could generally be dealt with by restarting just the process that read
that. Of course, if that process was the kernel or init, you wound up
rebooting anyway. And in some cases, the chain of things that depended
on that change was complex enough that rebooting was simpler.

In any case, I'm paranoid enough that I always rebooted after a patch
that touched the system startup code, just so I wouldn't find out that
the system startup was now broken when someone rebooted it during my
vacation.

For yet another difference - not even Sun recommends installing
*every* fix. FreeBSD doesn't have any other option.

Note that I'm *not* proposing such a system for FreeBSD! Merely
pointing out that the differences is very noticable.

	<mike