Date:      07 Dec 2001 14:51:05 -0600
From:      rand@meridian-enviro.com (Douglas K. Rand)
To:        "Joe White" <joe@edgehosting.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: IDE RAID

Joe> I'm looking for an IDE RAID card that can support RAID 1 or 5
Joe> (probably will only be just 1) and ATA 100.  Any suggestions? Has
Joe> anyone had any experience/luck with these kinda cards?  Is there
Joe> an additional Kernel drive I will need to compile to get it to
Joe> work correctly? Is it possible that it can notify me of problems
Joe> if one of the drives are bad or are dying?

Joe> This will be a MAIL/DNS/WEB/FTP/MySQL Server, running a couple of
Joe> 40g 7200rpm WD drives.

We have a bunch of the 3ware controllers, and they all work great. We
have some 2 drive mirrors of small drives, and now 3 systems with four
75 GB drives in a RAID 1+0 config.

I've never used RAID 5 on a 3ware controller, I hear it isn't terribly
speedy. But with the cost of IDE disks, we just add disks.  :)

The only gotcha is sizing the powersupply to handle the drives. There
have been a number of reported problems with 8 IDE drives in a single
case.