Date:      Sat, 27 Mar 1999 23:14:54 +0100
From:      sthaug@nethelp.no
To:        nicole@nmhtech.com
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Weird SCSI problem

>  I have a weird problem with a new system running 3.1 as described below. The
> problem is that apon bootup, it will hang at "waiting 15 seconds for SCSI
> devices to settle"
>  This will happen with a boot floppy or with the OS installed (if I try enough
> it will work) and it mostly happens when I have increased the memory from 128
> Megs to 384Megs (3X128 Dimms)
>  Funny thing is it seems that if I want to install I can usually get it to
> work with only 128Megs of memory, and after I rebuild a kernel with MAXMEM 384
> Megs it will boot 60% of the time with the full amt of memory.
>
> The light on the SCSI card will go full bright after the 15 second countdown
> and sit there forever.

If the systems boots okay from a hard reset, but (sometimes) hangs
when booted with "shutdown -r", you've hit a known problem. There's
been quite a bit of discussion about this on the freebsd-scsi list;
search for "Boot-time scsi probe problem" in the list archives.

A possible patch has been published. See the enclosed message for info.