Date:      Wed, 18 Mar 1998 11:09:48 +1030
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        Justin A Kolodziej <4wg7kolodzie@vmsb.csd.mu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Emulated Quake2 a no-go

> Apparently the Linux emulation in FreeBSD isn't good enough quite yet.
> Trying to run Quake 2 gives the following:
>
> Mar 17 00:09:35 mcd7-31 /kernel: Linux-emul(211): setup() not supported
> And I *am* running as root, so that's not the problem.
Hmm, on this note.. I just got the manpage for setup of a friends Linux
machine.. Here is an excerpt -

DESCRIPTION
       setup is called once from  within  linux/init/main.c.   It
       calls  initialization  functions for devices and file sys-
       tems configured into the kernel and then mounts  the  root
       file system.

       No  user process may call setup.  Any user process, even a
       process with super-user permission, will receive EPERM.

So why the heck does it get called by gcc or Quake 2?!

|Daniel O'Connor software and network engineer for Genesis Software |
|http://www.gsoft.com.au                                            |
|The nice thing about standards is that there are so many of them to|
|choose from. -- Andrew Tanenbaum                                   |