Date:      Fri, 4 Aug 2000 18:08:37 -0700
From:      Gregory Sutter <gsutter@zer0.org>
To:        Michael Haro <mharo@area51.fremont.ca.us>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bay Area Colo Recommendations?

On 2000-07-27 21:33 -0700, Michael Haro <mharo@area51.fremont.ca.us> wrote:
> Hi, a few of my friends want to setup a FreeBSD server and colocate it
> at a colo facility in the Bay Area (California).  I am wondering which
> colo places to look at and if this is something that I would be able to
> afford.
>
> We could get away with 1 IP and 2-4RU of rack space and don't plan
> on using much bandwidth.  We do want it on a fast net connection though
> (1-10 Mbit) so we can access it from our DSL and cable modem connections.
>
> Any pointers as to where to look would be great.

I was trying to do this not too long ago.  Here is a message I sent
about the matter to a private mailing list:

===

Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 19:47:18 -0800
From: Gregory Sutter gsutter@zer0.org
Subject: [colo] Welcome and explanation

Welcome.  This is a new list, set up for the express purpose of
setting up shared colocation.  If you want in on this, or at least
want to hear more, you're in the right place.

I've been doing some preliminary research; it seems that the real
big colo hosting places are still a bit out of the price range that
I'm looking for.  However, there are some one-and-a-halfth-tier
joints with good connectivity that I believe can properly serve our
needs.

One thing I'd like to note here is that I am _not_ looking for colo
in the South Bay.  I need to be closer to my server than that (I
reside in Berkeley).  If you're looking for south bay colo, then
don't run away, as we can potentially form two groups (yes, there
seem to be that many of us).

I'm in the process of researching these colo joints:

level3.com              SF
appliedtheory.com       Hayward
value.net               Walnut Creek
emf.net                 Berkeley
istep.com               SF
inreach.com             Oakland
isp.net                 SF
maxim.net               Fremont

So far, isp.net looks to be the best value, but remember that this
is just preliminary.

If you're in the south bay, and want to use this list and opportunity
to find a colo place there, I suggest researching:

globalcenter.net        Sunnyvale
above.net               SJ
exodus.net              Santa Clara
hmmmv.net               Santa Clara
bayarea.net             SJ
meer.net                MV
verio.net

The last issue that has to be raised right away is that of physical
server size.  The larger the box, the more expensive it will be, since
space is at a premium in all these datacenters.  Unless someone else
volunteers or has already done it, I will take a look at some server
vendors in an effort to get us a group discount on 1U, 2U, or 2.5U
cases and/or complete servers.  These are extremely space-efficient,
and by raising the number of servers we can fit into a rack, we lower
our overall cost markedly.

Discuss.

=====

HTH.

If you're willing to pick up where I left off, I'll bet that some
of the members of the colo list will still be willing to go in with
you on space.  Let me know and I'll add you to the list.

Greg
--
Gregory S. Sutter                    Computing is a terminal addiction.
mailto:gsutter@zer0.org