Date:      Thu, 2 Jul 1998 15:50:17 -0400
From:      "Jerry Bell" <jerry@reillyplating.com>
To:        "Victor Meirans" <vic@cs.ru.lv>, <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD, Samba and Win98

Windows98 uses encrypted passwords.  You have two options, turn off
encrypted password in Windows 98, or turn them on in Samba.  I chose the
former, though a good explaination of both are in the samba documentation.
(You may have to get a newer version of Samba)

To turn off ecrypted passwords in '98, open regedit, follow these
instructions:
(From Samba documentation)
1)      Launch the Registry Editor as follows:
        Click on:       /Start/Run
        Type "regedit" and press enter.

2)      Double click on:        HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

3)      Locate the following Key:
        /HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/Services/VxD/VNETSUP

4)      From the menu bar select Edit/New/DWORD Value

5)      Rename the entry from "New Value #1" to:
                EnablePlainTextPassword

6)      Press Enter, then double click on the new entry.
        A dialog box will pop up and enable you to set a value.
        You must set this value to 1.----------