Date:      Thu, 16 Mar 2006 18:57:24 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>
To:        neil <neilcpp@blueyonder.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Laptop Display size problem

On Wed, 2006-Mar-15 22:56:09 +0000, neil wrote:
>Hi, I am running freebsd 6 on a Fujitsu Siemens Laptop. At the moment, I
>only want to use it in text mode. The problem I have is that the text
>mode display seems to be framed into the centre of the screen, wasting 2
>inches plus horizontally and vertically.

This isn't that uncommon.  Normal VGA text mode is 80x25 characters in
a 640x400 pixel display and the easiest way to do this is to map the
pixels directly onto the LCD.  Since text mode is virtually unused in
the Winbloze world, there's little incentive to do anything else.

You could try building a kernel with VESA enabled and using vidcontrol(8).

--
Peter Jeremy