Date:      Wed, 19 Jan 2005 07:30:25 -0800
From:      Colin Percival <colin.percival@wadham.ox.ac.uk>
To:        Daren Desjardins <desjardins@canada.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Portsnap - fetch fails

Daren Desjardins wrote:
> I decided to give portsnap a try because we currently run cvsup nightly.
> After installing the port, I copied the sample portsnap.conf file. When
> I run portsnap fetch all I get is a 'failed' message after about a
> minute.

Probably a network problem.  The only way what you report can happen is
if `fetch -q http://portsnap.daemonology.net/pub.key` fails to fetch
anything -- if the key it downloads is wrong, portsnap will complain
about the hash instead.

Try again; if it still doesn't work, try using nslookup and traceroute
to identify the problem.

Colin Percival