Date:      Thu, 7 May 1998 02:12:32 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Open Systems Networking <opsys@mail.webspan.net>
To:        Adam Brown <connor@led.zeppelin.net>
Cc:        asura <asura@xs3.dyn.ml.org>, "freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Telnet / display speed question.

On Thu, 7 May 1998, Adam Brown wrote:

> >Hello All,
> >
> >I have a question regarding the display of text in a telnet session...
> >My machine runs FreeBSD 2.2.6 and is connected to the net via
> >another machine using route/proxy software.  This is done on
> >a dedicated 56k link.  Does anyone know why the scrolling / display
> >of text is so slow when I telnet to the machine from any other
> >machine on the net?  When I telnet to it from a machine on our
> >lan, the display seems fairly quick, but through the net, it's too slow!

While link speed usually does equate to alot of things running faster
telnet shouldnt be THAT much slower, unless you have very poor
connectivity to where your telneting to.

On your FreeBSD box try the following to get better interactive response
from your telnet sessions:

ifconfig <interface> mtu 296

This gives you an MTU of 296. 256 bytes of data per packet plus a 20 byte
IP header plus a 20 byte TCP header. Default MTU on your ethernet is 1500.
This WILL help your interactive apps like telnet, but is NOT what you want
for web browsing etc.. So when your just doing telnet sessions change the
MTU to 296 and the rest of the time change it back to 1500.
Try that and see if it helps.

Chris

--
"I don't do favors, I accumulate debts"

===================================| Open Systems Networking And Consulting.
  FreeBSD 2.2.6 is available now!  | Phone: 316-326-6800
-----------------------------------| 1402 N. Washington, Wellington, KS-67152
   FreeBSD: The power to serve!    | E-Mail: opsys@open-systems.net
      http://www.freebsd.org       | Consulting-Network Engineering-Security