Date:      Wed, 23 Feb 2000 17:24:56 +0100
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
To:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD as high speed router

On Tue, Feb 22, 2000 at 10:35:48AM +0100, Christoph Kukulies wrote:

> A question to the network experts:
>
> I want to build a router between FDDI and Fast Ethernet
> (possibly without creating a subnet - something like arp proxy
> but that's more an IP issue; maybe someone can comment this also)

That's sick, this way you don't have a strict separation
between 2 lans and the router arps in both segments.

Two have a real "broadcast firewall" you should avoid proxy arp.

Figure out, you want to get the hosts in a segment and ping
to the broadcast address. In a normal routed segment without
proxy-arp you only the the station answering, which are in
the segment.

Turning on proxy arp you also get answers from machines from
other connected lans...

I'd avoid that !

	Andreas ///

--