Date:      Wed, 10 Oct 2001 11:24:26 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jamie Bowden <ragnar@sysabend.org>
To:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SSSCA?

On Wed, 10 Oct 2001, Rahul Siddharthan wrote:

:It's by far the largest and I still maintain it's what they're most
:worried about.  I'm willing to admit they have reason about that.  I
:don't admit that they're actually being hurt by it, however: if people
:can't download tracks by random unknown musicians from napster,
:they're not going to rush out and buy the CDs instead.  They'll do
:that only if they like what they heard.  Even if 5% of the new music
:they hear that way results in CD purchases, it's definitely a gain for
:the music industry, but they won't see it that way...

Someone else made a very good point in another forum.  Why did Napster get
so big?  It wasn't necessarily about people wanting free music.  The music
industry has killed the single.  If I hear a song I like, the only way to
get it is to buy the album it's a part of.  Napster filled that gap.  It
allowed people to access the selected tracks they wanted to hear.  The
piracy existed because it was the only distribution channel available to
people who didn't want to pay for an entire CD for just a select few
tracks.

Jamie Bowden

--
"It was half way to Rivendell when the drugs began to take hold"
Hunter S Tolkien "Fear and Loathing in Barad Dur"