Date:      Fri, 23 Oct 1998 14:55:15 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@freebie.dcfinc.com>
To:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith)
Cc:        Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ECC memory support

>> On Oct 22,  4:19pm, Mike Smith wrote:
>> } Subject: Re: ECC memory support
> The BIOS does.  The kernel doesn't know anything about system management
> mode (SMM) or the system management interrupt (SMI), and it shouldn't,
> as it's specifically designed to allow the BIOS to obtain control while
> the system is running in order to perform system-specific tasks.

Is there any formal documentation, or standards for SMM?  Does each
motherboard have it's own specific BIOS and/or drivers?

I have 2.2-stable up on an AST Manhattan D file server.  It documents a lot
of SMM features in the hardware.  Cover tamper switches, under and over
voltage monitors, fan motor monitors, temperature monitoring, etc.

It would be good to be able to get to those features, and to invoke a
powerdown under some failure conditions.

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL15)   602-953-1392   Brother, can you paradigm?
chad@dcfinc.com chad@larsons.org chad@anasazi.com larson1@home.net