Date:      Wed, 09 Feb 2000 07:58:02 +0000
From:      Nick Sayer <nsayer@quack.kfu.com>
To:        "Vladimir N. Silyaev" <vsilyaev@mindspring.com>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VMWare: booting existing device ...

"Vladimir N. Silyaev" wrote:

> >> Went into Wizard Configuration, choose `Existing Device`, and choose the
> >> right partition (/dev/hda1), but it tells me `permission denied` to this
> >
> >> Is there something that I have to do in order to allow a `normal user` to
> >> be able to access that file system?
> > 1. It is a security hole, but if you`re willing to put up with it, you can
> > chgrp g+w the device and then make sure you`re a member of the `operator`
> > group.
> Probably last sentence about group membership doesn't required, because
> wizard launched from the setuid'ed vmware.

Except that it relinquishes those privileges when opening the device.
If you don't have write access to the device as your own UID, you can't
use it.

[...]
> In 1.1.x release vmware configuration panel and vmware-wizard doesn't concerned
> about type of device. Probably a type of device is checked at a time when
> guest booted. I think that doesn't changed in 2.0 version.

It must have. Using a character device for hda fails.

> About FreeBSD and block devices, right now new-ATA driver doesn't have
> a differences between character and block devices and working pretty
> well with inode marked as block device, but as block devices
> going to be deprecated may be good solution will be remove a sense of
> a device type, and in the kernel don't pay attention to the state
> of device type in the inode.

I do admit that I was using a block device with the major number of the
character device for ata. Perhaps ata has a different major number for
block devices than character devices. I haven't checked this out.