Date:      Tue, 1 Jan 2002 03:37:41 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dave Runkle <dave@runkle.com>
To:        mikeb <BrickTop@cinci.rr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Install errors with GTK, XMMS, and various other ports.

I got cute the other day; I tried playing with setting root up with
the bash shell. That way I could use some of my regular-user alias
and function setups.

Well, all of a sudden I started getting all kinds of errors while
building ports, from "not sane" to "broken ls", others too.

I went back to the standard shell, barebones, no alias, etc. Now
everything builds quite nicely. I've portupgraded every single port
on my machine that was out of date.

You haven't been playing with the root environment, have you? If so,
try setting it back to the original bare-bones state.

Good luck!
Dave