Date:      Tue, 21 Jun 2011 16:27:58 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Maciej Milewski <milu@dat.pl>, freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Well supported wireless card for Lenovo T520

> Sender: adrian.chadd@gmail.com
> Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 10:33:22 +0800
> From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
>
> FYI, There's documentation and code out there for doing this to the
> pre-11n NICs. This hasn't been done for the 11n NICs.

But, are there any pre-N NICs that are half-height PCIe format? I
suspect not. if there was a way to make an Atheros "look" like an Intel,
that would be great, but I suspect not (and I'd have to modify the
Atheros driver to recognize the "Intel" wireless card as an Atheros.)

I am now leaning toward looking for an Intel Centrino NIC as it should be
one that Lenovo will accept. At least in the past, they have not sold
cards with non-standard IDs, so any card that is one they sell should
work. that means Intel Wireless-N 1000, 6205, or 6300. I have no idea if
any of these is supported by any current driver, though.

Can anyone confirm that any of these three cards will work or an way to
find out what PCI IDs the BIOS will accept?

Thanks, Adrian, imp, jhb and all the others who have made suggestions.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer, Retired
E-mail: