Date:      Tue, 12 Jul 2005 16:18:11 +0100
From:      Alex Zbyslaw <xfb52@dial.pipex.com>
To:        mario.lobo@ipad.com.br
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions Question <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Forcing a packet through an interface (OT?)

Mario Lobo wrote:

>Yeah Stefan. They do take the default route. That is what I am already d=
oing.

>I even wrote a little prog using a variation of ping to do just that.
>
>The problem lies with the fact that, there is a router between my rl0 an=
d the internet.

>1) rl0 -----------> router ----------> antenna ------>  ISPx ------> int=
ernet

>So the fact that i can ping the hop next to rl0 doesn=B4t mean the link =
is up :(.

>That is why I NEED to ping something on the internet.
> =20

I don't think so.  You can follow Chad Leigh's advice and ping a router=20
on your ISP.  Figure out where your packets through ISP1 are routed (try =

traceroute) and then add a static route through ethernet1 to that=20
router.  You can do similar for ISP2.  Then a ping of either router will =

always try to go through the network card appropriate to that ISP.

--Alex