Date:      Tue, 29 Dec 1998 14:24:24 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        Kenjiro Cho <kjc@csl.sony.co.jp>
Cc:        atm@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATM in FreeBSD, status requested!

Thanks for the (quick!) feedback.

Now for a second round.

Currently the only piece of hardware supported by Cranors code but
not by the HARP code is the Adaptec if I have understood this right.

Clearly if people (other than me :-) use the adaptec card that
would make Adaptec support in HARP a prerequisite for removing
Carnors stuff.

The reson for me asking about removing Cranors stuff, is that I don't
think we are serviced well with two competing implementations in the
tree, and of the two HARP is much more complete and usable, and most
importantly:  it is actively maintained.

I am aware that many reseach projects run on Cranors stuff, but if
they are not even considering upgrading from FreeBSD 2.1 for
instance, they do not really factor into the equation of FreeBSD
3.1 and further down the road, do they ?  :-)

I think therefore, that unless circumstances change in the meantime,
that you should expect the Cranor driver to disapper from
FreeBSD-current sometime after Q299, and prepare to either maintain
it yourself (some of you already do) or switch to HARP.

If there are features of Cranors drivers which should be integrated
into HARP before then, or other issues which should prevent such
a move, by all means lets hear about it, It is my perception that
the maintainers of HARP are very eager to work with their users.

I also hear ALTQ being a pretty big item (not surprisingly) for the
atm community, and I wonder if it is time to raise the issue of
importing ALTQ into FreeBSD in general.

Having not worked (or even looked into ALTQ) (I'm only one human),
I would like to get a feeling from people who have worked with
it ("worked with" includes "have written it" :-) what such an
integration would take, what benefits we can cite as reason and
who could help carry it out in FreeBSD-current.

One of the things we might want to explore is if the "net-pipes"
developed by Whistle (by julian, archie &al) would fit into or
even improve this particular picture.  If any of you would have
time to explore that a bit I would be most grateful.

"ttyv0" -- What UNIX calls a $20K state-of-the-art, 3D, hi-res color terminal