Date:      Tue, 4 Feb 2003 13:02:50 -0800
From:      "vizion communication" <vizion@ixpres.com>
To:        <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   FreeBSD set up on Compaq Proliant 5500

I am obviously doing something wrong which is causing
difficulty installing freebsd 4.7 in the following
circumstances:

Quad Processor Compaq Proliant with 3200 Raid (2 Channel
LVD/SE Scsi Array Controller)
Prior to installing FreeBSD using the Compaq SmartStart
utility I created a raid (Array A) on the first raid channel
using four physical drives each of 18.2G using RAID 5.

Array A is divided into 11 logical Drives each with the
following number of 512 sectors:
Logical #1,8,10 ------4194240
Logical #2,7-------     8364000
Logical #3,4-------   16776960
Logical #5---------     2097120
Logical #6---------     6291360
Logical #9---------     8380320
Logical#11--------    27050400

The 11 logical drives reported by Compaq Raid Controller on
POST and no errors are reported when Compaq Array Diagnostic
Utility is run.

On Boot up using  FreeBSD 4.7 CD FreeBSD Reports drives A
thru J

In the FreeBSD select drives drives utility the following
drives are identified:

idad0, 4194240 Sectors (2047MB)
idad1, 8364000 Sectors (4083MB)
idad2, 16776960 Sectors (8191MB)
idad3  16776960 Sectors (8191MB)

None of the  other logical drives are identified by the
install utility.

Whilst it may only be a coincidence it seems odd that
FreeBSDis only "seeing" the first logical raid partitions
and that there are four physical drives. Do I need some kind
of driver installed so that FreeBSD can recognize the
logical raid partitions?

Help appreciated

Thanks

David