Date:      Tue, 23 Jun 1998 19:41:22 -0700
From:      Tim Gerchmez <fewtch@serv.net>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Some more OS comparisons... Win NT is a bloated pig :-)

I have a triple boot system (Win95 OSR2, NT4 workstation and FreeBSD
2.2.6), so I thought I'd try a test... I set up only a 10 meg swap file
under Windows NT, even though it recommends 75 minimum.  I have 64 megs of
RAM in my machine, so this gave NT 74 megs of RAM to play with.  Well,
running nothing but Netscape and connected to my ISP, I got a message that
I was out of swap space and to close some apps.  Can you believe this..
running ONE application, and NT (workstation 4.0 service pack 3) is eating
74 megabytes of RAM and hungry for more.  I only had the Netscape memory
cache set to 1 megabyte, so that wasn't an issue.  Now, this is bloatware
at its worst.. hehehehe..

Hmm, if I wanted to run an Internet server on NT (shudder)... I wouldn't
try it with less than between 512 megs and a gigabyte of real RAM, with an
8 gig swapfile minimum (and I bet all 8 gigs of that would be in constant
use)...

FreeBSD... I doubt I've ever hit my swapfile yet, even running X and
several apps at the same time.  Same with Win95, I rarely hit my
swapfile... except that BSD is even 'lighter' than Win95, I think... and
much more powerful.  So there's an interesting comparison of 3 OS's, and
the winner once again is... FREEBSD...

For ease of use and hardware support though I like Win95, so it remains my
most commonly used OS... easy to set up, easy to use, productive (if you
can avoid crashes - actually, not so bad with the OSR2 version, a lot of
bugs were fixed), comes with drivers for everything... but I wouldn't run a
server on it for more than one or two incoming connections, do anything but
light (RAD type such as Visual Basic) programming on it, or anything else
that requires that the machine multitask smoothly and remain stable at all
times.

Once again, I still need to do Win32 programming for some extra income, so
NT and 95 stay on my machine, but I am gravitating more toward BSD as time
goes on and I learn more.  That kind of power and stability has some really
serious benefits.  Now, I wish it supported my sound card, scanner and
Syquest SparQ drive... maybe in release 3.0...

Tim

--
My web site starts at http://www.serv.net/~fewtch/index.html -
lots of goodies for everyone, have a look if you have the time.