Date:      Mon, 10 Jul 2000 09:30:44 -0500
From:      Steve Kaczkowski <steve@inc.net>
To:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.0-STABLE/SMP feels sluggish ...

The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> I have a machine running Dual-PIII 450s that feels dog-slow and I can't
> seem to find anything wrong ...
>
> The machine is reasonably current:
>
> %uname -a
> FreeBSD pgsql.tht.net 4.0-STABLE FreeBSD 4.0-STABLE #0: Mon Jun 19
> 23:38:56 EDT 2000     root@pgsql.tht.net:/usr/src/sys/compile/pgsql  i386
>
> Loadavg is less them 1, but its not unusual to have to wait after hitting
> just the return key for it to come back with something ...
>
> Is this SMP related?  I saw the recent MFC that broke ppls SMP boxes with
> 4.0-STABLE ... something related to this that I should upgrade
> to?  Something I should look at/test to see where the problem might be?

I had the same kinds of problems and just on the off chance I
decided to CVS to the latest STABLE and what do you know
it FIXED it!

I think there was something weird in the Release code with SMP although
everyone tells me there isn't..

All I know is that it fixed my problem..

Good luck!

--
Steve Kaczkowski	Time Warner Telecom IDD
steve@inc.net          	(414)908-9012