Date:      Fri, 03 Apr 1998 07:39:16 +1000 (EST)
From:      Peter Jeremy <Peter.Jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        anton@urc.ac.ru
Subject:   Re: Is there a safe way for filesystem export?

On Thu, 02 Apr 1998 18:01:40 +0600, Anton Voronin <anton@urc.ac.ru> wrote:
>Unfortunately, mapping root to nobody is impossible while xdm writes into
>.Xauthority in users home directories
Updating .Xauthority doesn't have to be done as root.  It should be done
as the user being logged in (the current implementation doesn't - which
may be a security hole).  Since FreeBSD includes a `saved set-user-ID',
changing xdm to flip uids whilst writing .Xauthority should be fairly
simple.

> and dirs like authdir or xkb.compiled.
`authdir' could (and probably should, since xdm doesn't clean up after
itself) be on a MFS partition - ie a protected subdirectory in /tmp.

As far as I know, xdm doesn't affect xdm.compiled - the X server might
though.  I haven't played with the XKB extension and can't offer any
suggestions here.

Note that the Sun's NFS implementations include the ability to use
`Secure RPC' - ie DES encryption.  I don't know if the relevant hooks
are in FreeBSD.

Peter
--
Peter Jeremy (VK2PJ)                    peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au