Date:      Fri, 03 May 2002 10:34:07 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>, arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: savcore dump names?

Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> If I weren't in such a good mood, I would claim that this entire
> thing is because some of the usual suspects once again focus on
> beating up me rather than getting actual work done (This accusation
> doesn't apply to Terry, of course since he is exempt from doing any
> work).
>
> But I am in a good mood so I wont.

You are impossible to defend.  It's just totally impossible to be
on either side of any issue you are involved in, without your
ignoring the technical arguments and personally attacking someone.

It was pretty obvious that Peter was jumping on you.  However, you
turning around and jumping on me and Peter and anyone else in range
makes it really hard to take your side.

As for me personally...

If you boot your system, you go through my code.  Look at the
/sys/kern/init_main.c; I am the original author of the SYSINIT code,
and just because my copyright isn't in other code I've written,
doesn't mean that I don't have code there.  The FFS mount code
for the root/non-root mounts is mine.  The fsck code that fixes
the reference count on lost+found is mine.  The "-d" option to
the "w" command is mine.  The orginal LKM code is mine.  Etc. etc..

In retrospect, I should never have distanced myself from the project
originally back in 1994 when Novell bought USL, and I was invited to
be a core team member.  I did it to protect the project legally, but
I'll be damned if I haven't regretted it ever since, even if it did
convince Mike DeFazio, V.P. of the UNIX Systems Group at Novell,
to revise the cease-and-desist conditions that were different
for FreeBSD and NetBSD than they were for BSDI.

It's incredibly tempting to just fork the project -- something I've
lobbied heavily against in the past, with great success -- just to
get rid of the social structures that allow things like the reasons
for this current discussion to get started in the first place.

-- Terry