Date:      Mon, 08 May 2000 17:40:22 +0100
From:      Roger Hardiman <roger@cs.strath.ac.uk>
To:        PU400001@exchange.Norway.NCR.com, Borje Josefsson <bj@dc.luth.se>, Pasi Patama <pasi.patama@inet.intermin.fi>, Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>, mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Nokia Card Phone 2.0 now working on FreeBSD

Hi everyone,

I've got the Nokia Card Phone 2.0 working on FreeBSD.
It works great and I've made several data calls now
including calls at 28.8 kb/s

Jen and I used FreeBSD 3.4-Release with PAO3 for
FreeBSD 3.4-Release from www.jp.freebsd.org/PAO

There is a bad CIS Tuple in the Nokia card which caused
pccardd to panic when trying to assign resources to the card.
(bug report follows)

(I'll supply a patch to those of you who want it)

Once I taught PAO to ignore the broken CIS entry, it worked
immediatly.

Roger
--
Roger Hardiman
Strathclyde University Telepresence Research Group

THE CIS BUG.......
There is a bad entry in the "configuration entry" tuple
FreeBSD's dumpcis shows this

Tuple #11, code = 0x1b (Configuration entry), length = 18
        Config index = 0x3(default)
        Interface byte = 0x41 (I/O)  +RDY/-BSY active
Card decodes 4 address lines, 8 Bit I/O only
                I/O address # 1:  block length = 0x10
                IRQ modes: Level
                IRQs:  4 5 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Look at the I/O address #1 entry.
Normally i/o address fields contain 2 parameters
  block_length
  block_start (the i/o address of the block)

block_start is missing in the Nokia card and this caused
PAO to fail.
The trick is to tell PAO to ignore CIS entries
where there is an i/o address entry, but the block_start is
not defined.

Roger