Date:      Fri, 04 Jan 2002 15:58:01 -0500
From:      Marty Landman <marty@face2interface.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   network via modem?

Hi,

Apologies in advance if this has been covered or if it's just a dumb
question. I guess I'm looking for a FAQ that might cover this if possible;
maybe some advice on feasibility too.

I have a FreeBSD box with a modem in it, though I'm not sure if the OS
recognizes it. And a three node LAN running W95. I'm wondering if it would
be possible and not overly difficult to set up a primitive type of
communication between the FreeBSD machine and the LAN by connecting the
modem from one into the unused modem of one of the LAN boxes, i.e. plugging
a phone to jack line into the modems of the two machines.

I realize even if I could do that, there would be lots of other problems
including software to make use of it, but for starters can this be done and
how hard is it?

Thanks,

Marty

Website Creation Made SIMPL(tm)