Date:      Mon, 16 Apr 2007 10:12:40 +0200
From:      Ivan Voras <ivoras@fer.hr>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@icir.org>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Understanding ipfw keep-state dynamic rules

--------------enigA70F5668284487A1C97D1AE5

Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 16, 2007 at 12:07:35AM +0200, Ivan Voras wrote:
>> Luigi Rizzo wrote:
>>
>>> yes the numbers should be the expire time for the rule.
>> So, the total time the connection was active or the time the connectio=
>> had some traffic through it?
>=20
> it is the expire time (i.e. how many seconds from now the rule
> will be deleted). It should normally be the preset timeout
> (300 as a default for active sessions) minus the time for which
> the connection has been idle.

So is there a way to find out from this listing which connections have=20
been stalled too long? "Short" expire times may mean closed connections=20
or may mean a rule that's been active for a long time and is now almost=20
expired.

> in terms of tcp, on the server you would need to send a FIN
> (to signal "no more data from me") followed by a RST (to signal
> "i am not listening anymore"). Maybe a shutdown(s, SHUT_RDWR)
> can do the job, probably just close() is not enough.
> But i am not 100% sure.

I can't modify the server. I was hoping ipfw would send a RST to both=20
sides if a rule expires.