Date:      Mon, 21 Aug 2000 17:48:27 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Mike Hoskins <mike@adept.org>
To:        Dave Uhring <duhring@charter.net>
Cc:        Gabriel Ambuehl <gabriel_ambuehl@buz.ch>, Chris <kingsqueak@home.com>, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Re[2]: FreeBSD 4.1-STABLE is about as stable as windows98

On Mon, 21 Aug 2000, Dave Uhring wrote:

Excuse me, I'm coming in on the middle of this...  Mostly because it's
common habit to ignore any messages with subjects like this ones.

> The IDE drives may or may not be capable of such data rates, however, when
> 4.1-stable kept giving me thousands of those errors with VIA MVP4 chipset, I
> overwrote FreeBSD with Linux.  Linux and OpenBSD-2.7 both use the ATA-66
> capability without errors and generally show a 25%-30% increase in performance
> over ATA-33 measured with Bonnie.

Who maintains the ATA code?  Whomever it is, I'm sure they're very busy
individauls.  Possibly, they're not subscribed to this list and/or haven't
checked mail recently (away working on projects).  Have you contacted the
maintainer(s)?  Have you searched the mailing list archives?  Have you
tried asking in other closely related forums (hardware, fs and possibly
hackers)?

> The suggestion I received regarding replacement of the
> 80-wire cable with a 40-wire cable is specious and non-responsive.  Apparently
> no one in a position to be able to properly evaluate this problem cares enough
> even to post.

Well, it was a response...  Remember, no one guarantees how good or bad
the responses you receive from a free, public mailing list will be.

Before taking the time to provoke individuals in our community (at least,
your sentence seems provocatory), why not skim some source code and work
on a fix, or even just suggestions (or a dialog with the maintainer,
anything that would help us) for improvements based upon your source
review.

Good luck,

-mrh