Date:      Mon, 20 Jul 1998 17:47:37 -0400
From:      "Harry Patterson" <harry@visiontm.com>
To:        "Paul Stewart" <paul@kawartha.com>, <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ISDN Opinions

>We have a customer who has purchased an ISDN dedicated connection from us.
>Traditionally we have always done dedicated lines via our NT boxes.  This
>time I *want* to do it via a FreeBSD box as that is the direction that we
>are standardizing and the routing in NT sucks...(please don't flame me if
>there's any NT lovers on this list <smile>)
>
>Normally we would use USR Courier-I modems (128K ISDN) and they have
>worked perfect in the past.
>
>Questions...
>
>1. Will the Courier-I modem work ok with FreeBSD and is there a better
>choice to go with?  If so, why is xyz modem better?

My courier I-modem works fine and connects with both channels using standard
at commands. However, I am connecting to an ISP not acting like one. I could
think of several alternatives that would probably be better suited to
multiple ISDN lines including the Ascend products. An Ascend router (Max
1800, pipeline 85, etc) will do all the reconnecting for you if the line
fails and give you diagnostic screens as well. With courier (and probably
most others) ISDN modems the software will have to do the checking and
reconnecting. We use the Ascend ISDN products for a local network with
remote sites and they work quite well.

>2. Does FreeBSD support ISDN natively or do I have my work cut out for me?

AS I said it's done through AT commands. This has been discussed in the
questions mailing lists extensively.

>3. The Courier's do channel bonding via software... is this going to be a
>problem (versus some modems that run dual-b channels via hardware control
>eliminating need for software intervention)?

Once you send the command string, the modem connects the second channel. If
the channel goes down (pick up a phone using a b channel the channel will
come back after hang up.

Hope this helps,

Harry