Date:      Wed, 24 Apr 2002 13:31:30 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm-dated-1020105090.c714a4@mired.org>
To:        Antoine Beaupre <anarcat@anarcat.ath.cx>
Cc:        freebsd-libh@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: packaging base

In <342BD734-57AF-11D6-AE88-0050E4A0BB3F@anarcat.ath.cx>, Antoine Beaup=
re <anarcat@anarcat.ath.cx> typed:
> Le Mercredi 24 avril 2002, =E0 02:12 , Mike Meyer a =E9crit :
> > In <0DFF2010-57A8-11D6-AE88-0050E4A0BB3F@anarcat.ath.cx>, Antoine=20=

> > Beaupre <anarcat@anarcat.ath.cx> typed:
> > Yes, everything needs to be registered. No, installworld doesn't ha=
ve
> > to go away. I can see an installworld target that "knows" what
> > packages are part of the base system, and only installs the ones th=
at
> > are already installed. That's actually cleaner than using make.conf=

> > variables. Buildworld can use similar tactics.
> That's a very interesting idea.
> That's why developping pkgAPI is so important: there will be a=20
> transparent way of getting this kind of information.

Yeah. The interesting part will be the distinction between updating
the sources and updating the binary. That's why I hoped you had
something real to propose. The current ports mechanism makes upgrading
sources then building and installing them - well, let's say
interesting.

> > This is potentially something I can work on.
> That's why I'm bugging you with this. ;) I just want you to avoid=20
> thinking that libh is some kind of silver bullet that would take care=
 of=20
> this. It's not taking care of this.

I believe it should eventually. I hadn't though about pulling the
packages stuff out in parallel, though.

> > Libh isn't, as I what little I know of tcl is enough to keep me fro=
m=20
> > wanting to learn more.
> libh is more than just tcl. There's a solid C++ API behind all this.

As if that were an improvement. I'd rather learn TCL than write
C++. The people doing the work like it, so they are free to use what
they want. That it excludes me is my problem, not theirs.

=09<mike
--
Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>=09=09=09http://www.mired.org/home/mwm/
Independent WWW/Perforce/FreeBSD/Unix consultant, email for more inform=