Date:      Tue, 18 Jul 1995 00:50:33 -0500
From:      Jon Loeliger <jdl@chrome.onramp.net>
To:        "Amancio Hasty Jr." <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Uses for FreeBSD

In a hasty message, Amancio Hasty Jr. scribbled:
> This brings about another interesting point what are people doing
> with FreeBSD besides kernel hacking or system related work?

I use it at home on a small 10Base-T net with a Windows-95 machine
as the basis for my job.  Sadly, I live in Dallas while the company
for whom I work is in Silly Valley.   I connect via ISDN to my local
provider.  I have eaten, slept and breathed BSD for, like, the past
15 years or so, and the notion of going Windoze 95 cold turkey just
scared me to death....

In short, I use it at work and home as a production machine where I
write (and debug...) compilers on it.

For the terminally curious, I currently run:

    kern.osrevision = 199306
    kern.version = FreeBSD 2.0.5-950622-SNAP #0: Thu Jun 22 04:15:25  1995
        root@westhill.cdrom.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/GENERIC

Which is pretty much right out of the box on a Dell Pentium 90 with
a #9 GXE64 card, 16M and a couple gig of WD3100 disk space.

I've had no problem with it at all and am quite happy with it!

jdl