Date:      Sun, 20 Aug 2000 10:53:38 +0700 (NOVST)
From:      "Rashid N. Achilov" <shelton@sentry.granch.ru>
To:        Joe Warner <jswarner@uswest.net>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG, Jason La <jasonla_@hotmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Samba Question

On 19-Aug-00 Joe Warner wrote:

>     I'm assuming that you're trying to connect to your Samba server via WIN
> NT?  If so, you need to go into the registry and add a key that enables
> plaintext passwords.  You can find information on how to do this in
> /usr/local/share/doc/samba.

I think, plaintext password is A BIG HOLE in network security. I'd recommend use it only when you
absolutely sure, that nobody can steal/snoop/catch/listen (or other many methods :-) ) your traffic.
If you aren't sure, you have to read DOMAIN_CONTROL.txt, ENCRYPTION.txt, NTDOMAIN.txt and
Passwords.txt (and Samba doc catalog contained many other useful hints :-) ), which describes how
to use encrypted native NT passwords. If you have NT domain controller, you can include Samba
computer into NT domain and now it will be check passwords through NT server.
--
   With Best Regards.
   Rashid N. Achilov (RNA1-RIPE), Brainbench ID: 28514, Granch Ltd. lead engineer