Date:      Thu, 7 Sep 2000 17:10:22 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Agent Drek <drek@bigstudios.com>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: really 'big' smbd

On Thu, 7 Sep 2000, Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> * Agent Drek <drek@bigstudios.com> [000907 10:23] wrote:
> > hey there,
> >
> > I looking to find out what's going on with my server. under constant usage
> > of samba throughout the day it will run out of swap. There is very little
> > samba activity it's just that it seems to be caching every request in
> > memory/swap . eventually everything overflows. I've asked for help on the
> > samba lists but AFAIK other people with the same version of samba do
> > not experience this problem ... so it's my bad somewhere with the OS
> > I think.
>
> You may want to try running 'limit' to limit the memory size before
> starting smbd.
>
> -Alfred

limit seems to be csh only via setrlimit which says that it will just
segfault the offending process when it tries to get too big. I'm not
sure that this is the solution I'm looking for ,,, maybe it is ... I'm
just scared to try it without knowing more ...

could you elaborate on your suggestion?

FreeBSD4.1-Release

merci,

--