Date:      Sun, 15 Oct 2000 11:11:43 -0400
From:      Chris Browning <brownicm@prokyon.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: -newbies ($0.02 more)

I've been lurking, too and fearful of jumping in; FWIW
here's mine...

Doug Barton wrote:

<snip>
>         No, they really don't. We have made huge progress during the last two
> years at making -questions a "kindler, gentler" place to ask even the
> most mundane question. And even though there are still the occasional
> boneheads, it is actually doing quite well, _especially_ considering the
> vast expansion of the freebsd userbase during the same period.

Sometimes what needs work is _gently_ telling those who post
an inappropriate question to -newbies that the question
needs to be on -questions. I've been using FreeBSD since
2.1.5 but still consider myself in some ways a newbie. I
follow -newbies because I find questions that I feel I can
help folks with. I tend to answer off-list (I know I
shouldn't) and try to gently encourage the poster to try
-questions and to explain the rationale behind the other
replies they've gotten that insist they've posted to the
_wrong_ list.

>         In short, there should be one place, and one place only that is the
> starting point for real questions. The meta-questions like, "I need to
> ask about hooping my frobnitz, but I'm not sure which list is the right
> one to ask on" are still on topic for -newbies,  even though that
> question could really be asked on -questions too.

I agree with and appreciate the one-place-only theory. With
FreeBSD I know I'm not getting some third- or fourth-hand
interpretation of what someone thinks should the the right
answer. That's why my Linux box is an experiment and
learning-tool and FreeBSD is my primary computer. I also
realize that this is exactly why I should _not_ answer the
questions I do off-list. It defeats the peer-review process
that makes open-source so powerful. I just hate to see
potential BSD users run off pointlessly.

Perhaps a person posting an inappropriately technical
question to -newbies should be congratulated on making that
first step towards the level of sophistication needed to
move to -questions.

Pardon my prolixity. Thanks for listening.