Date:      08 Oct 2001 12:52:59 -0700
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        Murray Stokely <murray@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: docs/31109: replace gif images w/ png ones due to patent license

Murray Stokely <murray@FreeBSD.ORG> writes:

>  This looks good to me.  Is there any reason not to convert all of our
>  images to PNG?

I have no reason, but I'll offer the next paragraph in case it matters
to anyone (and in case you don't all know it already :<).

From what I've read (at trustworthy places like /.), the display of GIF
images is explicitly permitted (without royalties) by the patent holder.
It is only the sale of them or the sale of software that generates them
(I forget which) which requires royalty payments.  (Meaning that you're
free to display GIFs you make with properly-licensed software.)