Date:      Thu, 6 Feb 1997 22:40:59 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        hoek@freenet.hamilton.on.ca
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mail trivia

On Thu, 6 Feb 1997 hoek@freenet.hamilton.on.ca wrote:

> In Email, John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu> wrote:
> >
> > Your task is to guess the top ten mail clients, and their rank.
> > Extra credit goes to whoever can guess actual percentages.
>
> 1) Unknown
> 2) Elm
> 3) xmh
> 4) slnr :) :)

Not too many people interested in this trivia I guess.  Anyway,
the mailers that beat a 1% share are:

1) Pine          30.92%
2) Elm           21.37%
3) Netscape       7.64%
4) Window Eudora  4.35%
5) Pegasus        1.71%
6) exmh           1.32%
7) Microsoft Mail 1.07%

   Other          5.27%
   Unknown       26.35%

> Well, I already checked the ones in my inbox to make sure I wasn't making
> a laughingstock of myself...  After doing that, I'd have to add Mutt and
> Netscape (Mozilla).  Fourth and fifth, respectively.  OTOH, since this

Netscape's rank surprised me a bit.  Mutt is down at 0.39%, but
would probably be a bit higher if the time frame was limited.
XFmail, at 0.98% almost makes the 1% mark, but slnr comes in at
an undistinguished 0.06%.

-john