Date:      Fri, 27 Feb 1998 21:31:18 -0700 (MST)
From:      Charles Mott <cmott@srv.net>
To:        Shawn Ramsey <shawn@luke.cpl.net>
Cc:        Tony Li <tli@juniper.net>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CSU/DSU

On Fri, 27 Feb 1998, Shawn Ramsey wrote:
> > > Are there any CSU/DSU modules that plug into an ISA or PCI slot?  My basic
> > > interest is getting a T-1 (DS-1, actually) connection using FreeBSD as the
> > > router.
> > >
> > > The CSU/DSU units I have seen communicate with a router via a synchronous
> > > serial connection.  Are there any economical interface cards designed to
> > > receive a 1.5 megabit/sec synchronous connection?  Are standard UARTs
> > > capable of this?
> >
> > I recommend SDL's T1 card: www.sdlcomm.com
>
> We use Emerging Technologie's 4 port PCI card. It works great. I believe
> it is also cheaper, but they expect you know what you are doing. Technical
> support is pretty mimimal, and once you have one card working.. thats it.
>
> www.etinc.com

Thanks for both suggestions.  Where would I look in the FreeBSD source
tree to find the drivers for these cards?

As far an integrated CSU/DSU, I am willing to gamble a little here --
assuming I can probably borrow something like a Kentrox to initially test
the line and understand the various encoding options (all the B8ZS and
related stuff is a little scary to newcomers).

Charles Mott