Date:      Wed, 23 Feb 2000 10:15:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
To:        julian@elischer.org (Julian Elischer)
Cc:        dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie, myevmenkin@att.com, freebsd-current@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NETGRAPH patches (proposal)

Julian Elischer writes:

> > > So.. we can have two hooks, one that sets the host address and
> > > one that doesn't.. :-)
> >
> > In that case can we have one that also sets the destination address
> > via arp?
>
> Now I think you are talking a separate node that implements
> such a protocol.

Right.. ARP is an IP-specific protocol. Ethernet nodes should have
no specific knowledge of ARP.

But it would be easy to create an ARP node that sat between the
IP stack and an Ethernet node... it would maintain an ARP cache,
and when it saw an outgoing dest IP address that was unmapped would
issue an ARP request, etc.  It would listen to the incoming Ethertypes
for IP and ARP coming up from the Ethernet node.

This brings up another point.. to really do this correctly we would
also need a 802.3/802.2 node type that decoded Ethertypes and SNAP
headers. It would have a "downstream" hook that connected to the
Ethernet node and also hooks for "ip", "arp", "appletalk", "aarp"
(AppleTalk's ARP), "ipx", "ipv6", etc.  Also, it could suport
generic Ethertype hooks having names of the form "0xNNNN".

Probably the raw Ethernet node type should not even know about 802.3
(the standard 14 byte Ethernet header and the 60 byte minimum packet
length)..

-Archie