Date:      Mon, 05 Apr 1999 13:12:27 -0700
From:      Darren Pilgrim <dpilgrim@uswest.net>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        junkmale@xtra.co.nz, doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: The FreeBSD Installation Guide Project

Greg Lehey wrote:

> >> It seems fashionable at the moment to believe that newbies can do
> >> things that experienced people can't, simply because they're closer to the
> >> problem.  I have yet to see a really successful document come out of this
> >> approach.  I've found it a lot easier to let experienced people write the
> >> documentation and have newbies review it to death.
> >
> > But that's what is proposed.  Letting newbies review it.
>
> Ah, then I misunderstood.
>
> > As for successful documents, and this is tongue in cheek for the
> > humourless, some people, myself included, consider my website a
> > success.  And whilst I am a newbie with respect to FreeBSD, I'm not
> > new to the computer field.  I think it's horses for courses.
>
> Yes, I agree, your web site is a success.  But it's not exactly
> documentation, at least not the way I understand that Darren wants to
> do it.
>
> > I'm all for experienced people writing documents.  But, clearly,
> > nobody has stepped forward before this IGP was started.  Otherwise,
> > we'd already have the IG.
>
> Right.  I had intended to overhaul exactly this part of the handbook,
> but beyond writing a "what to download" section for review far too
> long ago now (http://www.lemis.com/handbook/what-to-download.html), I
> haven't done anything.  As I said before, I'm not discussing whether
> it should be done, just how.

I think most of the discussion has been over misunderstandings of my
intentions.  I'm not surpised at that, many people don't understand
me.  :-)

If I can get over this damned infection, I hope to have a web-page
ready to send to DW by the end of the week.

--
dpilgrim@uswest.net           /\  / __         Our lies are merely the
gryph@mindless.com           /  \/OC/URNE       truth of another world