Date:      Thu, 9 Nov 2000 17:14:29 -0500 (EST)
From:      mdg <mdg@madness.secureworks.net>
To:        Evren Yurtesen <eyurtese@turkuamk.fi>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is using dummynet and not loosing the firewall functionality possible?

you need to set the following sysctl to 0:

net.inet.ip.fw.one_pass

this will keep the search from terminating.  i sent in a pr to get this
added to rc.conf many moons ago ...

On Thu, 9 Nov 2000, Evren Yurtesen wrote:

::: Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2000 23:31:47 +0200
::: From: Evren Yurtesen <eyurtese@turkuamk.fi>
::: To: freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
::: Subject: Is using dummynet and not loosing the firewall functionality
:::     possible?
:::
::: I have a little problem over here.
::: I have searched the mailing list archives but couldnt find anything
::: close... I made ipfw,dummynet etc. work perfectly but need a creative
::: idea of the conf file I should use. I sent this to questions but
::: somehow nobody knows the answer.
:::
::: I want to limit bandwidth over an interface but also I want to use
::: ipfw's firewall capabilities but the search terminates when ipfw
::: comes to a pipe command which has a match and firewall rules are
::: not checked.
:::
::: Ok you might say that I can make ipfw continue search after pipe by
::: setting a variable with sysctl and I did that then then problem is that
::: I want users behind this firewall box to connect to X machine without
::: the
::: bandwidth limit and I put 2 rules first to match for the X machine and
::: the second rule is to match anything else but however these users are
::: caught by both of the bandwidth rules if the search doesnt terminate
::: on the first rule. I can handle this if the ipfw terminates the search
::: when it finds a rule though but then I cant use ipfw's firewall
::: capabilities.
:::
::: Is this a kind of paradox? any creative ideas?
:::
::: Evren
:::
:::
::: with "unsubscribe freebsd-isp" in the body of the message
:::