Date:      Sun, 24 Apr 2005 10:06:46 -0400
From:      James Alexander Cook <james.cook@utoronto.ca>
To:        gabor.kovesdan@t-hosting.hu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fsck in securelevel 2?

On Sun, Apr 24, 2005 at 03:49:27PM +0200, K?vesd?n G?bor wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tried to check the root partition with fsck and it found errors and
> for my greatest surprise, it answered its questions automatically with
> no. It is due to the securelevel 2? I've been thinking whether fsck uses
> direct access (which is denied by the securelevel) or not?

If by "direct access" you mean opening the disk for writing, I'm pretty sure
the answer is yes, fsck does use direct access.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but
the only possible way to write to a disk in securelevel 2 is by mounting it and
modifying the filesystem on it.  And you can't fix a filesystem without a more
direct way of accessing it.

> Cheers,
>
> Gábor Kövesdán

- James Cook