Date:      Thu, 30 Dec 1999 14:15:25 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        tsikora@powerusersbbs.com
Cc:        Marc Nicholas <marc@netstor.com>, "freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>, "freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Temperature

> > > It is HOTTER under FreeBSD. Immediatelly upon boot-up it's 26F
> > > hotter under FreeBSD than under Linux.
> >
> > That's fairly hard to believe, unless your system has zero thermal
> > inertia.  I'd have an easier time suggesting that your reporting software
> > has been broken.  I'm also curious as to how you're talking to the BIOS
> > to obtain these temperature values.
> >
> I'm really starting to get irritaed with all these posts. I'm trying to
> report a potential problem and your treating me like I'm some yokel. I
> have been a computer engineer for 28 years so I think I have a little
> experience in this.

Since we also have some experience in this, you might want to take our

I'm certainly not trying to treat you like a yokel.  I'm trying to get
you to think and behave like a computer engineer with nearly 30 years of
experience.  So far this hasn't been very successful.

> Well here's some data:
>
> FreeBSD 3.3-RELEASE #0: Thu Sep 16 23:40:35 GMT 1999
>     jkh@highwing.cdrom.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/GENERIC
>
> (lmmon -i reports)
>
>  Motherboard Temp		Voltages
>
>  32C / 89F / 305K		Vcore1:   +2.016V
>  41C / 105F / 314K		Vcore1:   +2.016V

Is this the same lmmon binary in both cases?  Have you confirmed these
temperatures with an external thermometer?

> These are both taken right after bootup with X started and WindowMaker
> running. No other apps running.

The first step in resolving this has simply been to try to narrow down
the variables so that we have some idea what might actually be involved
here.  It's been a painful process, but we're almost there.  Once you can
confirm that the onboard temperature sensors are working and bear a good
resemblance to reality we can eliminate them from the equation.  I did
ask for verification of this (which hasn't been forthcoming yet).

I've also asked you to undertake the second phase, which is to perform a
binary-search set of kernel builds to pin down the timeframe in which
this change occurred.  It's also been suggested that the scheduler
changes made by Bruce Evans may have impacted your system; you might want
to bracket those changes to quickly eliminate them as possibilities.