Date:      Wed, 26 May 1999 15:40:59 -0400
From:      "I'Khala" <ikhala@phoenix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        Broderick Wood <bwood@KingsU.ab.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CVSUP Scripts

Quoting Broderick Wood (bwood@KingsU.ab.ca):
>   Some of the recent comments have me wondering what people have
> done to automate the process of staying current with -STABLE using
> CVSUP.  I am already doing a CVSUP and make buildworld on a
> weekly basis.  What else can I get the scripts to do without killing the
> box while I'm away, and what steps are then left?
>
>   I would prefer to hear about people who are actually using their
> scripts, not just "This SHOULD Work" scenarios...
What I've done is the following
	1. created a file in /etc/periodic/daily called 800.update-sources
	2. 800.update-sources calls the script /usr/local/etc/sources
	3. /usr/local/etc/sources does a 'cd /usr/src' and performs an 'make update'
	4. in /etc/make.conf I have 'SUPFILE=/usr/local/etc/cvsup/stable-supfile',
	   'SUPFILE1=/usr/local/etc/cvsup/ports-supfile'

Pretty simple.  Just use any of the scripts in '/etc/periodic/daily' as an example.
I usually do a buildworld & installworld by hand, but I'm going to begin a weekly
automated buildowrld on my -CURRENT boxes, because I'm finding out that this would
be the most prudent thing for me ... #;^)

HTH

> ---------------------------
>
> -BMW-
>
> Don't just stand there!  Pray something!
>
> (bwood@kingsu.ab.ca)
> Broderick Wood,
> Director of Information Technology Services
> The King's University College
> 9125 - 50 Street
> Edmonton, Alberta
> T6B 2H3
> (780) 465-8315
> (780) 465-3534 (FAX)

i'khala
(Still thinking of a witty .signature file ... #;^)