Date:      Thu, 18 Jan 2001 08:52:16 -0700 (MST)
From:      Nick Rogness <nick@rapidnet.com>
To:        John Telford <j.telford@sympatico.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Multiple ISP's for outgoing. (or the opposite of P. Brezny's ?)

On Wed, 17 Jan 2001, John Telford wrote:

> Is there a way to do the opposite of Peter Brezny's question "Redundant
> connections from separate isp's possible?" He had muliple  incoming
> connections to his Web servers.
> I have 2 ISP's but almost all of my traffic is from the inside out, employee
> browsing, ftp downloads. Can (should?) I use a Freebsd box to balance/route
> the traffic through the 2 connections ? How difficult would it be to setup ?

	You SHOULD be able to perform this operation with routing via a
	routing daemon.  Your problem is actually the same as what Peter's
	problem is...your just looking at it differently.

	Technical feasiblity will rely a lot on what your network
	looks like and what your providers are willing to do for
	you.  Load balancing will be a tad more difficult than just
	redundant routing.

	These answers are all relative to how you are connected and what
	your network looks like.  Most likely, BGP will be your answer.

	Best of luck.

Nick Rogness
- Drive defensively.  Buy a tank.