Date:      Sat, 5 Jan 2002 10:22:48 +1300
From:      Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>
To:        Marty Landman <marty@face2interface.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: network via modem?

On Fri, Jan 04, 2002 at 03:58:01PM -0500, Marty Landman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Apologies in advance if this has been covered or if it's just a dumb
> question. I guess I'm looking for a FAQ that might cover this if possible;
> maybe some advice on feasibility too.
>
> I have a FreeBSD box with a modem in it, though I'm not sure if the OS
> recognizes it. And a three node LAN running W95. I'm wondering if it would
> be possible and not overly difficult to set up a primitive type of
> communication between the FreeBSD machine and the LAN by connecting the
> modem from one into the unused modem of one of the LAN boxes, i.e. plugging
> a phone to jack line into the modems of the two machines.
>
> I realize even if I could do that, there would be lots of other problems
> including software to make use of it, but for starters can this be done and
> how hard is it?

It can be done, using PPP. PPP will enable a network connection over
a serial line; you don't have to use modems, a null-modem connection
between the 2 machines will do. Set up your FreeBSD box to accept
incoming PPP connections and you're on your way. Routing from W95
machines other than the connected machine may be a bit problematic
though.

Cheers.
--
Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>