Date:      Mon, 23 Feb 2004 09:36:09 -0600
From:      "Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        eliott morst <eliott_morst@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: volunteer opportunity

eliott morst wrote:

>I am interested in proofreading documentation for the freebsd operating system project.
>I enjoy reading technical journals and it bothers me when subjects of a technical nature are not expressed in correct english.
>Please make me aware of any opportunities where i can help along those lines.

Cool!

You would be interested in the doc team,
then....

I think that anyone can subscribe to the
mailing list, "freebsd-doc@freebsd.org",
but I'd be sure to spend some time reading
the list (and its archives), as well as the doc
team's WWW pages, before you make too
many assumptions and/or comments about
the documentation.  (I'll let you think about
why that might be true....)

Another thing you should become familiar
with is the "gnats" system (bug reporting
system).  Anyone, anywhere can submit a
problem report (using send-pr(1)) on a FBSD
system*, including pr's on the documentation.
These will be read and acted upon by experienced
members of the FreeBSD Documentation Project.

I know how you feel; FreeBSD needs professional
looking, high quality documentation in order to
keep moving forward.  The Good News:  it has it.
The Bad News:  it's a volunteer project with a
*huge* amount of (text/code/markup), and mistakes
can be overlooked or even introduced in advertently.
Get familiar with send-pr and doc@freebsd.org, and
then feel free to join in!  I'm sure they'll be glad to
have more help....

Kevin Kinsey
DaleCo, S.P.

*If you have a system (whatever OS**) that does not
have "send-pr(1)", there is, (or was?) a web interface
to the send-pr(1) program at the Project's web site.

**Yeah, but if you're not running FreeBSD,
shouldn't you start ;-)