Date:      Thu, 29 Aug 2002 17:10:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: misc/42172: ftp and fetch client needs an active command line option now

The following reply was made to PR misc/42172; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To: Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>
Cc: Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>,
	freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 17:05:04 -0700 (PDT)

 Quoting Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>:

 > In message <200208291949.g7TJn3J2026751@www.freebsd.org>, Ted
 > Mittelstaedt writ
 > es:
 > >      Now, I know that most people are going to be saying "so what,
 > >all FTP servers support passive mode" but au-contraire, that is not
 > >true.  I ran across one that ONLY supports ACTIVE mode FTP - it is
 > >a network storage device called a "Snap!" server, manufactured by
 > >Quantum.  The lack of an active switch makes it rather difficult to
 > >write scripts that deal with this device.
 >
 > It seems that setting the environment variable FTP_PASSIVE_MODE to
 > "NO" should do what you want. Does that work?
 >
 > Ian

 It does work with FTP however it doesen't appear to work with the fetch
 program.  (perhaps that should be a second PR, fetch not responding to that
 variable?) Also this workaround doesen't address the changes that need
 to be made in the man page for ftp.

 Thanks, though!
 Ted