Date:      Mon, 20 Aug 2001 22:28:27 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Matt Piechota <piechota@argolis.org>
Cc:        "Carroll, D. (Danny)" <Danny.Carroll@mail.ing.nl>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Silly crackers... NT is for kids...

Matt Piechota wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Aug 2001, Carroll, D. (Danny) wrote:
>
> > Even for authentication?
> >
> > I can understand using a telnet client to manually test SMTP servers or
> > other protocols, but I cannot understand why you *need* telnet.
> > Mind you I am against using pop3 as well, unless it's encrypted.
>
> Example 1:
> You're on an internal heavily firewalled corporate LAN, where none of your
> information is hidden between employees.  So you don't care, and you don't
> have to worry about installing ssh on every PC's desktop, and teaching
> cluon-deprived people to use it.

You're not ghosting your systems, or something like that?  You're certainly
making things much harder on yourself.  Install the OS, your basic apps,
and putty, and bingo! everyone has a reasonably good ssh client.

> Example 2:
> You're running realtime applications, or applications that need all
> available processing power for performance reasons.  The extra overhead of
> encrypting and decrypting the ssh traffic may drop your performance.

On a generic-user Windows box?  I'd rather have a life.  If your employer
is doing stupid crap like this, you need to vote with your feet.

> I'll agree that these aren't all that typical, but they do exist.

They aren't all that compelling, either.