Date:      Fri, 10 Sep 2010 18:06:36 +0300
From:      Achilleas Mantzios <achill@matrix.gatewaynet.com>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: this is probably a little touchy to ask...

=CE=A3=CF=84=CE=B9=CF=82 Friday 10 September 2010 17:29:19 =CE=BF/=CE=B7 Ra=
ndal L. Schwartz =CE=AD=CE=B3=CF=81=CE=B1=CF=88=CE=B5:
>=20
> Mark> That's a pretty idealistic view of the upcoming release of HTML5.
> Mark> I have yet to see a release of HTML that is compatible across
> Mark> browsers, i.e.  adapted universally by all browsers uniformly.
> Mark> Java is still a very viable platform, even on the browser.
>=20
> Whenever I see Java firing up on my browser, I cringe.  (Flash too.)
>=20
> There are darn few things either of these do that a good modern
> cross-platform library, like jQueryUI, can't do instead.
>=20
> Except for video playback, which HTML5 fixes as well.  And yes, until
> then, we're stuck with Flash.
>=20
> We needed Java before we had good JavaScript.  Now we have good
> JavaScript.

With javascript (and to be honest i do use a lot of ajax in my apps), soone=
r or later
someone will have to fallback to plain javascript debugging, and thats where
he starts to get the feeling that he is moving back to the age, when langua=
ges/platforms
were unreliable, loosely defined, buggy, unpredictable,.... which is why ja=
va in the browser was introduced
in the first place.
I think the timing with opensourcing java, the oracle acqusition, and the l=
atest hype with terms (like web 2.0)
which sound buzzy but mean nothing, created a rather peculiar environment w=
here many dynamics seem to change
but without a clear technological winner (like SUN was in the 90s) which wi=
ll show the way.
On the extreme opposite end sits adobe Flash, which does everything it is s=
upposed to do
but it is so closed and "anti-academic" that we shouldn't be even discussin=
g it in here ;)
Therefore, i dont think that we will see anything close to what applets(or =
even flash) used to be.
We might see products, (like JQuery as you said, or the tools from Google),=
 yes, but not technologies.

>=20
> I repeat... Java had its day.  Time to move on.
>=20

=2D-=20
Achilleas Mantzios